Table of contents:
- Why Do Students Struggle with Editing and Proofreading?
- Here’s How Best Writers Online Handles the Struggle
- How to Pick the Best Writing Service for Editing and Proofreading
- Our Top Picks for Editing and Proofreading Sites
There is a common saying: “The lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client.” This could actually apply to a lot of other areas. And in the field of academic writing, the student who edits and proofreads his own essays and papers is probably not a fool, but he is taking unnecessary risks. Unfortunately, there are instructors in all subject areas who place a high value on correct grammar and composition and use it as a factor in their grading. They become irritated when they have to wade through a piece of writing that is filled with English errors that should have been fixed before submission.
There are lots of reasons why this final task of the writing process can be tough:
- Once students have finished writing their essays or papers, they are a bit burnt out and don’t have much motivation to go back and edit and proofread
- Some students are facing tight deadlines and just can’t take the time for this final step, along with other assignments due.
- Students are emotionally “invested” in their writing and will often gloss over or miss grammar and composition errors.
- Students are so familiar with what they have written that they miss their own errors.
- Students lack sound grammar skills, and so are unable to identify their errors and know how to fix them.
- If you have one or more of these issues, then you should not be editing and proofreading your own writing. You need a third professional “eye,” one that is in the head of an expert grammarian.
We are not a writing service that will handle your editing and proofreading needs. We are, though, an agency that researches and reviews essay editing and proofreading services, in order to evaluate and rank them, so that our users can find the top editing and best online proofreading services to use. If you want the best paper editing service, you will find it here; if you want the best online proofreading service, you will find it here.
How do we evaluate these services? We review all of the content on the agency’s website, look into the degrees, backgrounds, and experience of its editors and proofreaders, and, even more important, study all of the feedback and comments of actual customers, posted on the web and that we ourselves solicit. In terms of customer satisfaction, we are looking for the following:
- Students who state that the editing services resulted in changes that improved their pieces and go them better grades
- Students who state that essay proofreading services polished up their writing and that instructors did not find grammatical errors in their essays and papers
- Students who state that before changes were made in the structure, they were consulted and given the right of approval before such changes were made.
When we look at credentials and backgrounds of editors and proofreaders, we want to see degrees in English from accredited colleges and universities. And we like to see professionals with a background in editing and proofreading in their career lives.
And these are things that are reported in our reviews of writing services that offer editing and proofreading services.
Most writing services focus on the production of original writing products and spend a lot of time promoting that aspect of their business. Editing and proofreading are offered but almost as afterthoughts.
If you are looking for the best essay editing service, then you should begin by looking at how important that service is to the company. Just being listed as one of their services, along with a pricing chart, does not indicate importance. Are they showing samples of their editing and proofreading work? Do they speak to the qualifications of the editors they use?
You can do this research yourself or you can just come to Best Writers Online and read an editing and proofreading services review that we have already produced – one that is based on strong research.
1. Studicus. You will find an in-depth explanation of their editing and proofreading process, and their work is as thorough as they state.
2. Classy Essay. Customers are overwhelmingly satisfied with the editing and proofreading services of this agency. We have seen samples of their work and agree.
3. Top Essay Writing. Again, a thorough explanation of what their editors and proofreaders do for customers, and wide customer satisfaction.